Ann D. Wiles
- p. 202.349.7942
- f. 202.349.8080
Ann D. Wiles is Counsel in the Washington, DC office of BuckleySandler LLP. Ms. Wiles represents institutions and individuals in litigation and enforcement matters, including government investigations, class actions and complex civil litigation, internal investigations, and criminal and appellate matters. Her experience includes extensive practice in both federal and state courts, as well as representing clients before the Department of Justice, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, state attorneys general, and federal banking regulators. In addition, Ms. Wiles has assisted clients in foreign criminal proceedings, in actions before foreign securities regulatory agencies, and in internal investigations at the World Bank.
Ms. Wiles’ recent representations include:
- Defending financial institutions against claims brought by municipalities under the Fair Housing Act.
- Assisting institutions in referrals from banking regulators to the Department of Justice related to allegations of discrimination, including redlining and pricing discrimination.
- Defending financial institutions in class actions brought under TILA, RESPA, and state UDAP laws.
- Defending institutions in investigations and actions brought under the False Claims Act and FIRREA.
- Representing institutions in CFPB investigations and examinations.
- Representing financial institutions in investigations by the New York Attorney General and New York Department of Financial Services.
- Assisting clients in conducting risk analyses of credit practices based on recent enforcement activity.
- Assisting individual clients in a foreign criminal prosecution for alleged privacy violations, from trial through appeal over a five-year period, resulting in full acquittals before the Italian Supreme Court.
Ms. Wiles also has experience in matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, securities fraud, privacy and data breaches, tax evasion, employee misconduct, gaming regulations, intellectual property, and antitrust investigations. She also has been recognized for her commitment to pro bono representation, including her recent representation of an individual client in a criminal appeal before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals.
Prior to joining BuckleySandler in 2010, Ms. Wiles was an associate in the Government Enforcement Practice Group at Ropes & Gray. Ms. Wiles received her J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School in 2006, where she was an Associate Editor for the Vanderbilt Law Review. She received a B.S. with honors from the University of Florida in 2003.
Represented JPMorgan Chase in qui tam action brought under the False Claims Act based on allegations that defendants improperly submitted loans for FHA insurance where the borrowers received ... MORE
Represent top 10 bank in ongoing investigation by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York regarding the bank's compliance with FHA's direct endorsement lender program, including the ba... MORE
Represent top 10 bank in ongoing investigation by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York regarding the bank's mortgage underwriting standards and representations made in the sale of l... MORE
Advised wholesale lender during regulatory fair lending examination and comparative file review, resulting in finding of no pattern of discrimination on prohibited basis.
Represented client in investigation and settlement with FTC related to allegations of deceptive mortgage advertising practices, including alleged violations of the Mortgage Acts and Practices Advertis... MORE
Achieved dismissal on demurrer of complaint alleging, among other things, common law and statutory fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and elder abuse in the secondary purchase and sale of plaintiff&rsquo... MORE
Achieved summary dismissal without leave to amend on demurrer of complaint alleging fraud in the securitization of plaintiff’s loan.
Consumer Financial Services Law Report, June 6, 2014
American Banker, May 28, 2014
American Banker, April 28, 2014
BNA's Banking Report, August 27, 2013
Law360, November 9, 2012
LexisNexis Emerging Issues, August 1, 2012
In The News
Awards & Recognition
- Super Lawyers 2015 Rising Star: Business Litigation
- Super Lawyers 2014 Rising Star: Business Litigation