Bradley A. Marcus
- p. 202.349.8021
- f. 202.349.8080
Bradley A. Marcus, a counsel in the Washington, DC, office of BuckleySandler LLP, has a broad-based litigation practice. He represents corporate and individual clients in complex civil litigation, class action litigation, individual actions, qui tams, and government enforcement actions and investigations, including white collar criminal defense matters. Mr. Marcus has represented clients in cases involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), False Claims Act (FCA), Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act (FIRREA), securities fraud, mortgage fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, government loan programs, mortgage lending, servicing, and securitization practices.
Mr. Marcus also counsels clients in responding to subpoenas from federal and state investigative bodies and conducts corporate internal investigations. Among Mr. Marcus’ representations are those initiated by the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorneys’ Offices, the Federal Housing Finance Agency, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Office of the Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, federal banking regulatory agencies, and state attorneys general.
Mr. Marcus’ recent representations include the following:
- Representation of a Japanese Gaming Company in FCPA litigation and related parallel matters.
- Confidential representation of an individual in an FCPA investigation.
- Confidential representation of an FHA mortgage lender in a civil fraud investigation by the Department of Justice and HUD-OIG.
- Confidential representation of individual in wire fraud investigation by United States Attorney’s Office.
- Confidential representation of individual in parallel Audit Committee and SEC investigations regarding accounting fraud.
- Representation of major mortgage servicer in investigation initiated by Federal Housing Finance Agency as conservator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
- Representation of student loan servicer in CFPB investigation.
- Successful representation of lender in trial court and on appeal in connection with qui tam action brought under the Florida False Claims Act against a lender, securitization trust, and MERS for the recovery of allegedly unpaid documentary stamp taxes associated with certain assignments of mortgage notes. Stevens v. State of Florida, No. 1D13-1206, 127 So.3d 668, 2013 WL 6097312 (Fla. App. 1 Dist. November 20, 2013).
- Successful dismissal of HAMP-related litigation brought by individual borrower against lender alleging fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
Prior to joining BuckleySandler, Mr. Marcus was an associate at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom, LLP.
Mr. Marcus received his J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 2006 (summa cum laude, commencement speaker, Heuisler Honor Society, Law Faculty Award and Associate Comments Editor, University of Baltimore Law Review), where he graduated first in his class. Mr. Marcus received his B.A. in journalism from the University of Maryland, College Park in 2001. From 1999 to 2002, Mr. Marcus covered Navy football and men’s college lacrosse for the Washington Times.
Ongoing representation of Chapter 7 Trustee, including (i) conducting a full investigation of the financial affairs and collapse of Bancorp; (ii) defending Bancorp in government enforcement and litiga... MORE
Represent WMC Mortgage in putative class action filed by Jackson County, Missouri on behalf of all Missouri Counties regarding the recording of deed of trust assignments and payment of applicable reco... MORE
Representation of individual in FCPA investigation by Department of Justice of major U.S. corporation and related civil suits. The individual client is concurrently being investigated by the UK&... MORE
The firm is representing Universal Entertainment Corp. (“UEC”), a large Japanese gaming manufacturer, and Aruze USA, Inc., in litigation brought by Wynn Resorts Ltd. in Nevada state court,... MORE
Represent employee of IT Company in Audit Committee and SEC investigations regarding accounting practices undertaken in connection with one of the company’s government contracts. &nb... MORE
Represent JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in individual borrower action alleging fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices under the D.C. Consumer Protection and Procedures Act in connection with borro... MORE
Represent GE Capital Retail Bank in qui tam action brought under Florida False Claims Act regarding payment of Florida stamp tax in connection with mortgage assignments. Motion to dismiss grante... MORE
Ongoing representation of student loan servicer in responding to CFPB CIDs relating to student loan origination and collection practices.
Conducted a CFPB examination readiness review and gap analysis for a national mortgage lender.
Business Crimes Bulletin, November 1, 2013
Mortgage Banking Magazine, August 23, 2012
Commercial Lending Litigation News, May 30, 2012
Business Crimes Bulletin, June 1, 2011
April 13, 2011
In The News
January 8, 2014