Caitlin M. Kasmar
- p. 202.349.8017
- f. 202.349.8080
Caitlin Kasmar is a Partner in the Washington, DC, office of BuckleySandler LLP. Ms. Kasmar represents financial services industry clients in a wide range of enforcement and litigation matters, including government enforcement actions, internal investigations and class actions. Ms. Kasmar has extensive experience handling significant investigations brought by government agencies including the Department of Justice, CFPB, and FHFA, among others, including False Claims Act/FIRREA investigations related to origination and servicing practices. Ms. Kasmar advises clients, including Boards of Directors for major mortgage industry companies and national banks, on risk management strategies and compliance with various federal and state laws and regulations affecting the financial services industry. She has litigated cases arising under the Fair Housing Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, the Civil Rights Act, and unfair and deceptive trade practices statutes, among others. As co-chair of the firm's eDiscovery Committee, Ms. Kasmar also has extensive experience assisting with and counseling clients in responding to subpoenas from federal and state investigative bodies and handling all aspects of discovery in civil cases. Ms. Kasmar’s recent representations include the following:
- Representation of numerous clients—including mortgage banks, credit reporting agencies, and large financial institutions—in CFPB examinations, investigations, and enforcement actions
- Representation of individual client in SEC investigation and related shareholder litigation
- Representation of major national bank in connection with Department of Justice False Claims Act investigation and ultimate settlement
- Confidential representation of major mortgage industry client and its Board of Directors with respect to enforcement action by federal banking regulators and several ongoing state Attorney General investigations
- Conducting an internal investigation for a major national bank to identify potential fraudulent conduct by employees
- Counseling multiple national bank clients with respect to potential violations of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act and developing processes to identify and cure such violations
- Defending class action suit alleging discrimination in loan pricing by mortgage originator
- Representation of individual in multijurisdictional investigation by the Department of Justice of potential FCPA violations and United Kingdom Serious Fraud Office Prevention of Corruption Act of 1906 violations
Ms. Kasmar also serves as BuckleySandler's Pro Bono Partner and as co-chair of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee. Her pro bono practice includes a range of criminal and civil matters, including efforts to obtain post-conviction relief, civil lawsuits related to unconstitutional prison conditions, and immigration matters.
Prior to joining BuckleySandler LLP at its inception in 2009, Ms. Kasmar was an associate in the litigation group of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP. Before entering private practice, she clerked for the Honorable Rebecca Beach Smith of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Ms. Kasmar received her J.D. in 2004 from the University of Chicago Law School, where she was a member of the law review. Ms. Kasmar received a B.A. (magna cum laude) from Carleton College in 2000.
Represented a major bank in a novel and significant False Claims Act qui tam case relating to mortgage loan servicing and loss mitigation, which was resolved in spring 2016. In the first stage, our te... MORE
Ongoing representation of regional bank in a CFPB investigation into loan modification practices.
Successfully represented Beal Bank in its lawsuit against the FDIC. Beal Bank brought the suit after purchasing thousands of FDIC-originated mortgages in 2001 and 2002. In the suit, Beal claimed borro... MORE
Representation of individual in FCPA investigation by Department of Justice of major U.S. corporation and related civil suits. The individual client is concurrently being investigated by the UK&... MORE
Ongoing representation of Chapter 7 Trustee, including (i) conducting a full investigation of the financial affairs and collapse of Bancorp; (ii) defending Bancorp in government enforcement and litiga... MORE
Class action alleging breach of contract by insurers refusing to provide coverage for Hurricane Katrina-related flooding.
Lawsuit alleging "contingent commissions" are unlawful under common law and unfair trade laws of the state.
Represented GreenPoint Mortgage Funding in nationwide borrower class action alleging racial discrimination in loan pricing because of GreenPoint’s alleged discretionary pricing policy in violati... MORE
Bloomberg BNA, May 12, 2016
Mortgage Compliance Magazine, August 5, 2015
Knowledge & Insights
October 17, 2014
In The News
November 4, 2015
March 16, 2015
December 15, 2011
Speaking Engagements & Events
June 22, 2016
October 26, 2015
April 28, 2015
March 16, 2015
February 4, 2015