Christopher F. Regan
- p. 202.349.7970
- f. 202.349.8080
For more than 20 years, Chris Regan has represented corporations and their CEOs, CFOs and other C-suite executives in complex criminal and related civil administrative litigation at both the state and federal levels. He has represented numerous individual defendants in parallel proceedings involving DOJ, SEC and State AG investigations; administrative and/or regulatory enforcement litigation with agencies such as OFHEO, FHFA, FDIC, the Federal Reserve, and the OCC; and the defense of related class action, derivative and ERISA litigation. Mr. Regan is recognized in the Legal 500 for White Collar Criminal Defense and Best Lawyers in America in the fields of White Collar Criminal Defense and Corporate Governance and Compliance Law.
Mr. Regan's broad range of experience includes conducting internal investigations and the defense of criminal and/or grand jury investigations involving accounting fraud, internal controls and corporate governance, tax fraud, FCPA violations, anti-trust violations, mail and wire fraud, theft of trade secrets and a wide array of environmental crimes.
He has had a role in some of the most significant litigation in the past decade, including:
- Leading BuckleySandler litigation team in representation of the Navajo Nation in a landmark lawsuit alleging that the U.S. had breached its historical fiduciary obligations by failing to manage, invest and account for tribal trust funds and resources under the custody and control of the U.S. in a manner that would maximize the financial return from those assets. The Firm secured $554 million settlement on behalf of its client, the largest settlement obtained in any action by a single Native American tribe against the U.S.
- Representation of the former Controller at Fannie Mae in parallel SEC, OFHEO, and pending class action derivative litigation, resulting in no SEC charges, a no admission of liability settlement with OFHEO, and contempt findings against OFHEO being upheld by the DC Circuit as a of result OFHEO’s e-discovery violations.
- Representation of an individual in the FCPA “Gabon Sting Case” ultimately resulting in dismissal of all charges by DOJ. Assisted trial team before and during 18 week criminal jury trial.
- Representation of former executive of Freddie Mac in securities fraud investigation by SEC regarding financial disclosures of mortgage losses, resulting in Staff’s decision not to recommend enforcement action.
- Representation of numerous AOL executives in parallel grand jury, SEC, and class action litigation involving allegations of accounting fraud, resulting in complete vindication on summary judgment in the class action litigation, no charges against any client and the dismissal of class action litigation against AOL president on jurisdictional grounds.
- Representation of Major League Baseball players during Congressional Hearings and Investigations regarding use of performance enhancing drugs (HGH, Steroids).
- Representation of senior executive and employee of BP in ongoing civil and criminal investigations related to the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Representation of foreign and domestic nationals in ongoing DOJ antitrust investigations of auto parts industry.
Mr. Regan’s environmental practice ranges from conducting internal investigations to trial defense with a strong focus on the unique suspension and debarment issues that arise under the EPA’s program. In addition to his civil and criminal enforcement experience, he has experience with lender liability issues, environmental due diligence, toxic tort ligation, superfund cost recover and contribution actions, and compliance planning for environmental health and safety issues.
Mr. Regan's environmental experience includes:
- Representation of senior EHS executives in DOJ criminal investigations of electroplating, textile, and power generation facilities.
- Representation of senior executive of W.R. Grace indicted in largest environmental case brought by DOJ/EPA. Assisted trial team before and during 12 week criminal trial, resulting in acquittal for client on all charges.
- Representation of cruise line and commercial vessels construction industry and international food producer before EPA’s Suspension and Debarment Division. Negotiated administrative agreement with EPA’s SDO to resolve all automatic debarment issues associated with criminal plea agreements.
Represent employee of IT Company in Audit Committee and SEC investigations regarding accounting practices undertaken in connection with one of the company’s government contracts. &nb... MORE
BuckleySandler represented the Navajo Nation, the largest Indian tribe in the United States, in Navajo Nation v. United States, Case No. 06-945L, in the United States Court of Federal Claims. In Aug... MORE
Representation of foreign and domestic executives in criminal price fixing investigations by DOJ Antitrust into auto parts industry.
Represent senior executive and senior employee of BP in civil and criminal investigation related to the Deepwater Horizon incident in the Gulf of Mexico.
Representation of senior environmental, health, and safety executives in DOJ investigations of potential environmental violations at electroplating facilities and power generation facility.
Represented leading highway construction firm in investigations by a variety of state and federal enforcement and regulatory agencies.
Representation of former senior executive of Freddie Mac in securities fraud investigation by SEC regarding financial disclosures of mortgage losses, resulting in Staff's decision not to recommend enf... MORE
Represented the former Controller of Fannie Mae in winning the dismissal of, or settling, all investigations and litigation related to the accounting errors alleged in reports by the Company’s r... MORE
Representation of over a dozen AOL executives and accounting employees in parallel grand jury, SEC, and class action litigation involving allegations of accounting fraud, resulting in no charges again... MORE
Investigation conducted by the Department of Justice of under reporting of revenue to other telecom entities through alleged manipulation of call routing services.
Business Crimes Bulletin, September 1, 2010
In The News
August 15, 2016
June 15, 2016
June 1, 2016
May 27, 2016
May 12, 2016
June 8, 2015
May 20, 2015
April 24, 2015
January 21, 2015
September 26, 2014
August 18, 2014
June 1, 2014
May 27, 2014
April 28, 2014
August 15, 2013
June 3, 2013
May 8, 2013
April 30, 2013
June 22, 2010
Speaking Engagements & Events
March 26, 2015
May 2, 2011
Awards & Recognition
- Best Lawyers 2017: Corporate Compliance Law, Corporate Governance Law, Criminal Defense - White-Collar
Legal 500 2016: Recognized in the Litigation - White-Collar Criminal Defense practice area
Chambers USA 2016: Recognized Practitioner, DC Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
- Super Lawyers 2016: Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Chambers USA 2015: Noted Practitioners, Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations - Washington, DC
- Legal 500 2015: Recognized in the Litigation - White Collar Criminal Defense practice area
- Super Lawyers 2015: Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Legal 500 2014: Recognized in the Litigation - White Collar Criminal Defense practice area
- Super Lawyers 2014: Criminal Defense (White Collar)
- Best Lawyers 2014: Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Compliance Law, Criminal Defense - White Collar
- Legal 500 2013: White Collar Criminal Defense
- Super Lawyers 2013: Criminal Defense (White Collar)
- Best Lawyers 2013: Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Criminal Defense - White Collar
- Best Lawyers 2012: Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Compliance Law
- Best Lawyers 2011: Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Compliance Law