Christopher F. Regan
- p. 202.349.7970
- f. 202.349.8080
For over twenty years, Chris Regan has represented corporations and their CEOs, CFOs and other C-suite executives in complex criminal and related civil administrative litigation at both the state and federal levels. He has represented numerous individual defendants in parallel proceedings involving DOJ, SEC and State AG investigations; administrative and/or regulatory enforcement litigation with agencies such as OFHEO, FHFA, FDIC, the Federal Reserve, and the OCC; and the defense of related class action, derivative and ERISA litigation. Mr. Regan is recognized in the Legal 500 for White Collar Criminal Defense and Best Lawyers in America in the fields of White Collar Criminal Defense and Corporate Governance and Compliance Law.
Mr. Regan's broad range of experience includes conducting internal investigations and the defense of criminal and/or grand jury investigations involving accounting fraud, internal controls and corporate governance, tax fraud, FCPA violations, anti-trust violations, mail and wire fraud, theft of trade secrets and a wide array of environmental crimes.
He has had a role in some of the most significant litigation in the past decade, including:
- Representation of the former Controller at Fannie Mae in parallel SEC, OFHEO, and pending class action derivative litigation, resulting in no SEC charges, a no admission of liability settlement with OFHEO, and contempt findings against OFHEO being upheld by the DC Circuit as a of result OFHEO’s e-discovery violations.
- Representation of an individual in the FCPA “Gabon Sting Case” ultimately resulting in dismissal of all charges by DOJ. Assisted trial team before and during 18 week criminal jury trial.
- Representation of former executive of Freddie Mac in securities fraud investigation by SEC regarding financial disclosures of mortgage losses, resulting in Staff’s decision not to recommend enforcement action.
- Representation of numerous AOL executives in parallel grand jury, SEC, and class action litigation involving allegations of accounting fraud, resulting in complete vindication on summary judgment in the class action litigation, no charges against any client and the dismissal of class action litigation against AOL president on jurisdictional grounds.
- Representation of Major League Baseball players during Congressional Hearings and Investigations regarding use of performance enhancing drugs (HGH, Steroids).
- Representation of senior executive and employee of BP in ongoing civil and criminal investigations related to the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Representation of foreign and domestic nationals in ongoing DOJ antitrust investigations of auto parts industry.
- Representation of KPMG executive during civil and criminal investigations of alleged tax shelters.
Mr. Regan’s environmental practice ranges from conducting internal investigations to trial defense with a strong focus on the unique suspension and debarment issues that arise under the EPA’s program. In addition to his civil and criminal enforcement experience, he has experience with lender liability issues, environmental due diligence, toxic tort ligation, superfund cost recover and contribution actions, and compliance planning for environmental health and safety issues.
Mr. Regan's environmental experience includes:
- Representation of senior EHS executives in DOJ criminal investigations of electroplating, textile, and power generation facilities.
- Representation of senior executive of W.R. Grace indicted in largest environmental case brought by DOJ/EPA. Assisted trial team before and during 12 week criminal trial, resulting in acquittal for client on all charges.
- Representation of cruise line construction industry and international food producer before EPA’s Suspension and Debarment Division. Negotiated administrative agreement with EPA’s SDO to resolve all automatic debarment issues associated with criminal plea agreements.
Representation of foreign and domestic executives in criminal price fixing investigations by DOJ Antitrust into auto parts industry.
Represent senior executive and senior employee of BP in civil and criminal investigation related to the Deepwater Horizon incident in the Gulf of Mexico.
Representation of senior environmental, health, and safety executives in DOJ investigations of potential environmental violations at electroplating facilities and power generation facility.
Represented leading highway construction firm in investigations by a variety of state and federal enforcement and regulatory agencies.
Representation of former senior executive of Freddie Mac in securities fraud investigation by SEC regarding financial disclosures of mortgage losses, resulting in Staff's decision not to recommend enf... MORE
Represented the former Controller of Fannie Mae in winning the dismissal of, or settling, all investigations and litigation related to the accounting errors alleged in reports by the Company’s r... MORE
Representation of over a dozen AOL executives and accounting employees in parallel grand jury, SEC, and class action litigation involving allegations of accounting fraud, resulting in no charges again... MORE
Investigation conducted by the Department of Justice of under reporting of revenue to other telecom entities through alleged manipulation of call routing services.
Business Crimes Bulletin, September 1, 2010
In The News
Speaking Engagements & Events
May 2, 2011
Awards & Recognition
- Legal 500 2013, White Collar Criminal Defense
- Super Lawyers 2013, Criminal Defense (White Collar)
- Best Lawyers 2013, Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Criminal Defense - White Collar
- Best Lawyers 2012, Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Compliance Law
- Best Lawyers 2011, Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Compliance Law