"'...unquestionably one of the most practical and user-friendly lawyers in the regulatory compliance and licensing space.'"
Clinton R. Rockwell
- p. 310.424.3901
- f. 310.424.3960
Clint Rockwell heads the firm's Los Angeles and Orange County offices and advises a variety of clients on consumer financial services matters, including banks, mortgage companies, auto lenders, commercial lenders, secondary market loan purchasers, and securities broker-dealers, regarding regulatory, licensing, compliance and transactional matters. Mr. Rockwell's practice includes representing clients in fair lending, UDAAP and related regulatory and compliance matters involving the CFPB, the DOJ and other federal and state agencies. Mr. Rockwell’s practice also includes a focus on Federal Housing Administration (FHA) lending and more recently in False Claims Act matters involving FHA loans. Mr. Rockwell assists in establishing FHA lending platforms and representing clients before HUD in connection with approval, program administration, and enforcement issues. He also represents lenders in connection with reverse mortgage programs, and state-licensed lenders in state examinations and enforcement actions.
Mr. Rockwell is one of the original members of Buckley Kolar LLP, joining the firm as an associate attorney at its formation in January 2004. Prior to joining BuckleySandler, he was with Goodwin Procter LLP in Washington, DC.
Specifically, Mr. Rockwell has been involved with matters including:
- Federal preemption of state consumer and commercial credit laws
- Federal and state laws regarding proposed financial products and services, including the impact of Alternative Mortgage Transaction Parity Act (AMTPA) preemption, interest exportation, National Bank Act, and Home Owners’ Loan Act (HOLA) preemption on proposed financial products and operations
- State high-cost home loan laws
- Licensing and regulatory compliance in connection with state mortgage banker, broker, consumer and commercial loan laws
- Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA) Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), and other federal law compliance for national mortgage lenders
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) compliance, including affiliated business arrangements and joint ventures
- Consumer and commercial compliance audits
- Regulatory analyses regarding residential mortgage lending, commercial lending, real estate brokerage, loan sale/purchase, and electronic funds transfers
- Rate exportation/most favored lender issues
- Formation of Federal Housing Administration (FHA) and Veterans Administration (VA) lending platforms and FHA compliance
- Federal and state enforcement examinations.
Mr. Rockwell was selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2010-2013, where he is currently ranked Band 3 in Financial Services Regulation: Consumer Finance (Compliance). Chambers says, “According to sources, Rockwell is 'unquestionably one of the most practical and user-friendly lawyers in the regulatory compliance and licensing space for consumer-facing financial institutions.'"
Mr. Rockwell is a member of the American Bar Association Consumer Financial Services Committee, the University of London Post Graduate Law Society and the Bentham Society at University College, London.
Consumer Financial Services Law Report, November 20, 2012
Westlaw Journal Bank & Lender Liability, September 12, 2011
Thomson Reuters, May 13, 2011
Buckley Kolar Legal Update, January 1, 2006
Knowledge & Insights
In The News
May 31, 2013
American Banker, November 23, 2012
June 8, 2012
March 28, 2011
InsideCounsel, March 1, 2011
National Mortgage Professional Magazine, November 19, 2010
Speaking Engagements & Events
January 31, 2013
January 17, 2013
April 24, 2012
April 11, 2011
August 25, 2010
August 3, 2010
August 2, 2010
June 23, 2010
April 19, 2010
December 9, 2009
December 7, 2009
September 23, 2009
Awards & Recognition
- Chambers USA 2010-2012, Up and Coming, Financial Services Regulations: Consumer Finance (Compliance)