Lauren R. Randell
- p. 202.349.7953
- f. 202.349.8080
Lauren R. Randell is a partner in the Washington, DC, office of BuckleySandler LLP. Ms. Randell has extensive experience representing individual and corporate clients in civil and criminal enforcement cases, including white collar criminal defense matters, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), criminal antitrust, securities enforcement defense, securities class action litigation, environmental criminal defense, and consumer litigation. Ms. Randell was named a 2015 White Collar Rising Star by Law360, was noted with the firm's White-Collar Criminal Defense practice in Legal 500 (2016), and was recognized as Super Lawyers Rising Star: Criminal Defense (White Collar) and Securities Litigation from 2014-2016.
Ms. Randell has been involved in number precedent-setting cases involving the defense of individuals against the government, particularly in the FCPA space:
- From 2012 to 2014, Ms. Randell represented Noble Corp.’s former CEO/CFO, Mark Jackson, in the SEC’s lawsuit against him over alleged bribery in Nigeria related to oil and gas drilling rigs. Unlike almost all SEC enforcement actions in the FCPA space, Mr. Jackson fought the SEC’s allegations against him. The case was the only contested litigation to arise out of the SEC and DOJ’s broad FCPA investigation into oil and gas drillers in Nigeria, and would have been the first SEC trial on FCPA claims in 30 years. Ms. Randell and BuckleySandler put the SEC to the test through extensive litigation in Houston federal court, including challenges to what appear to have been the SEC’s first expert witnesses ever in FCPA cases. The case ultimately settled on the eve of trial with Mr. Jackson paying no money to the SEC, accepting no bar to his future employment, and neither admitting nor denying a simple controlling person claim unrelated to bribery.
- In 2011-2012 Ms. Randell represented a defendant in the Africa Sting/Shot Show case, the largest FCPA criminal enforcement proceeding ever brought by the DOJ against individuals. Ms. Randell second chaired the trial team in a four month trial ending in a hung jury mistrial for defendant John Mushriqui, which ultimately led to the dismissal of all charges against the client by the DOJ.
- Randell currently represents Universal Entertainment Corp., a large Japanese gaming manufacturer, and its subsidiary, Aruze USA, Inc., in FCPA-related litigation brought by Wynn Resorts Ltd., as well as in related parallel matters. The case is in active discovery and involves one of the first examples of a private party alleging FCPA violations as a method to gain an upper hand in a contract dispute.
- Randell also represents clients in high-stakes FCPA matters outside litigation, providing FCPA compliance counseling and investigative assistance to global companies in the global food retail and energy businesses, and individual representations in the oil and gas services and defense industries.
Outside of the FCPA context, Ms. Randell has represented dozens of individuals under investigation by various government agencies or in internal investigations. Ms. Randell has extensive experience in accounting, securities, and other fraud-related matters before the SEC and DOJ, including:
- Representation of an individual in a hotel fraud conspiracy case in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Representation of numerous individuals in insider trading inquiries by the SEC.
- Representation of two foreign and domestic auto parts company executives in the DOJ Antitrust Division’s sprawling investigation of the auto parts industry.
As part of BuckleySandler, a recognized leader in the financial services industry, Ms. Randell also provides counsel to various financial institutions on government enforcement and compliance issues.
Prior to joining BuckleySandler, Ms. Randell was an associate at Mayer Brown. In 2009, she was part of the Mayer Brown trial team which secured an acquittal for a senior executive of W.R. Grace in one of the largest criminal environmental prosecutions ever brought by the DOJ. Following law school, Ms. Randell clerked for the Honorable Franklin S. Van Antwerpen of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Ms. Randell received her J.D. from Yale Law School and a B.S. from Yale University.
The firm is representing Universal Entertainment Corp. (“UEC”), a large Japanese gaming manufacturer, and Aruze USA, Inc., in litigation brought by Wynn Resorts Ltd. in Nevada state court,... MORE
Representation of foreign and domestic executives in criminal price fixing investigations by DOJ Antitrust into auto parts industry.
Represented leading highway construction firm in investigations by a variety of state and federal enforcement and regulatory agencies.
Representation of corporate and individual clients in enforcement actions involving the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Represented fourteen individuals in internal investigation regarding alleged FCPA violations, in response to oil and gas drilling industry probe by DOJ and SEC.
Represented two executives in insider trading investigation by SEC, resulting in Staff's decision not to recommend enforcement action.
Represented international investor in insider trading investigation by SEC, resulting in Staff's decision not to recommend enforcement action.
Representation of former senior executive of Freddie Mac in securities fraud investigation by SEC regarding financial disclosures of mortgage losses, resulting in Staff's decision not to recommend enf... MORE
Represented nine individuals in investment education industry in securities fraud investigation by SEC. The Commission settled Complaints against two clients.
Conducted review of default servicing practices and provided compliance advice in connection with allegations of improprieties in default servicing.
Represented the former Controller of Fannie Mae in winning the dismissal of, or settling, all investigations and litigation related to the accounting errors alleged in reports by the Company’s r... MORE
Represented major mortgage servicer in concurrent investigations by the Federal Reserve Board, state banking departments, and multiple state attorneys general in connection with allegations of impropr... MORE
We represented of Mark Jackson, former CEO/CFO of an oilfield services company, in an SEC enforcement action being litigated in Houston federal court. In late 2012, the judge granted our Motion t... MORE
Represented John M. Mushriqui in the DOJ’s largest criminal prosecution of individuals in the history of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, following the only modern use by the FBI in an FCPA ca... MORE
Representation of a former senior health and safety executive of W.R. Grace in the then-largest environmental criminal prosecution in U.S. history. Our client, along with W.R. Grace and six othe... MORE
Law360, November 17, 2016
Business Crimes Bulletin, September 1, 2016
Criminal Justice, August 14, 2015
Business Crimes Bulletin, February 8, 2015
Wall Street Lawyer, December 15, 2014
BNA's Banking Report, July 22, 2014
Business Crimes Bulletin, September 3, 2012
Westlaw Journal, January 30, 2012
Thomson Reuters, May 23, 2011
Westlaw Journal, August 10, 2010
Bloomberg Law Reports, June 29, 2010
Deal Points, April 15, 2010
Litigation 2009, November 2, 2009
Knowledge & Insights
In The News
Westlaw CQ Roll Call, June 22, 2016
June 15, 2016
June 1, 2016
May 12, 2016
Law360, December 17, 2015
April 24, 2015
Law360, April 20, 2015
July 3, 2014
May 21, 2014
April 28, 2014
February 21, 2012
January 31, 2012
January 3, 2012
December 15, 2011
September 28, 2011
Speaking Engagements & Events
October 25, 2016
May 18, 2015
April 8, 2011
December 6, 2010
Awards & Recognition
- Legal 500 2016: Recognized in the Litigation - White-Collar Criminal Defense practice area
- Super Lawyers 2016 Rising Star: Criminal Defense: White Collar, Securities Litigation
- Super Lawyers 2015 Rising Star: Criminal Defense: White Collar, Securities Litigation
- Law360 2015 Rising Star: White Collar
- Super Lawyers 2014 Rising Star: Criminal Defense (White Collar), Securities Litigation