Mehul N. Madia
- p. 202.349.7974
- f. 202.349.8080
Mehul N. Madia is Counsel in the Washington, DC, office of BuckleySandler LLP. Mr. Madia has a broad-based litigation and enforcement practice, representing corporate and individual clients in complex litigation actions, internal investigations, and government enforcement actions as well as in white collar criminal defense and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) matters. Mr. Madia has represented clients in matters initiated by private plaintiffs as well as matters initiated by a host of government agencies, including the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA), the New York Department of Financial Services (NYDFS), and various state attorneys general.
Mr. Madia’s recent representations include:
- Defending lender-placed insurance provider in multiple putative class actions as well as in investigations brought by state insurance regulators, including the NYDFS.
- Representing large financial services companies in investigations and enforcement actions initiated by the CFPB.
- Representing a senior executive of a global investment bank under investigation in the coordinated Libor inquiry by multiple international government agencies, including the DOJ, the CFTC, the U.K. Financial Conduct Authority, the U.K. Serious Fraud Office, and the German BaFin.
- Confidential representation of an individual in a criminal DOJ FCPA investigation.
- Representing two currency traders at global investment banks under investigation by multiple international government agencies, including the DOJ, the CFTC, the U.K. Financial Conduct Authority, the U.K. Serious Fraud Office, and others related to manipulation in the $5.3 trillion foreign exchange or Forex market.
- Successfully defended class actions seeking to impose consumer protection liability on secondary market loan purchasers and securitizers.
- Representing mortgage servicer in investigations initiated by the FHFA related to its investments in residential mortgage-backed securities.
Mr. Madia serves on BuckleySandler's Diversity Committee and Technology Committee. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Asian Pacific American Bar Association, and the South Asian Bar Association. He also serves as an executive committee member of the Montgomery County Commission on Juvenile Justice.
Prior to joining Buckley Sandler, Mr. Madia was a Special Assistant United States Attorney at the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia where he represented the United States in its prosecution of crimes in the District of Columbia. Prior to his tenure at the United States Attorney's Office, Mr. Madia was an attorney at an AmLaw 100 firm and a clerk for the Honorable Rhesa H. Barksdale of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Mr. Madia received his J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School, where he was a member of the University of Chicago Law Review. Mr. Madia received his B.A. with high honors in political science and economics from the University of Michigan.
Criminal Justice, August 14, 2015
In The News
Awards & Recognition
- Super Lawyers 2016 Rising Star: Criminal Defense: White Collar, Business/Corporate, Class Action/Mass Torts
- Super Lawyers 2015 Rising Star: Class Action/Mass Torts, Criminal Defense: White Collar