Steven R. vonBerg
- p. 202.524.7893
- f. 202.349.8080
Steven R. vonBerg is an associate in the Washington, DC office of BuckleySandler LLP, where he provides regulatory compliance advice to the mortgage industry. His clients include bank and non-bank mortgage lenders and mortgage servicers. Mr. vonBerg’s practice is focused on the full spectrum of federal mortgage lending laws, particularly those that have come out of the CFPB, including the TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure rule (TRID), the Loan Originator Compensation Rule, the 2013 Mortgage Servicing Rules, the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) amendments, and the Bureau’s Ability-to-Repay and Qualified Mortgage (ATR/QM) rule.
Prior to law school Mr. vonBerg spent seven years as a mortgage loan officer and this significant experience within the industry has enhanced his ability to deliver business-oriented advice that can be implemented in a practical, cost-efficient manner. He also provides regulatory compliance counsel related to money transmission and electronic signatures, and understands the intersection of technology and the mortgage industry.
Representative matters include:
- Counseling clients in preparing for changes in regulations, developing compliance protocols, and responding to regulatory examinations, investigations, and enforcement actions
- Representing a large non-bank residential mortgage lender in connection with a CFPB investigation into its loan originator compensation practices
- Analyzing loan-level mortgage origination documentation to ensure compliance with federal and state law
- Preparing comprehensive surveys of state statutes and regulations related to homeowners association lien priority laws (so-called “super-priority” liens)
- Acting as outside counsel for a money transmission service provider with respect to state licensing and regulatory issues, including initial licensure, changes of control, NMLS management issues, annual renewals, and ongoing licensing maintenance
- Reviewing electronic signature procedures for compliance with IRS requirements for Income Verification Express Services (IVES) participants
Mr. vonBerg received his J.D. from the American University Washington College of Law (cum laude) in 2013. During law school, Mr. vonBerg served as an Articles Editor for the American University Business Law Review and as an intern at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in both the Market Abuse Unit and the Office of Market Intelligence. He received his B.A. from West Virginia University in 2002.
Mortgage Banking, April 1, 2014
Knowledge & Insights
October 11, 2016
August 3, 2016
April 29, 2016
January 5, 2016
October 9, 2015