Thomas A. Dowell
- p. 202.349.8011
- f. 202.349.8080
Thomas Dowell, an associate at BuckleySandler LLP, focuses much of his practice on representing bank and non-bank financial institutions in government examinations, investigations, and enforcement actions.
Mr. Dowell’s representations have included:
- Assisting numerous banks and nonbanks in responding to examination requests, civil investigative demands, and subpoenas from federal regulators relating to a wide range of subject matter areas, including mortgage lending, mortgage servicing, ancillary credit products, and student lending;
- Providing regulatory advice to mortgage servicers on a variety of regulatory developments, including the 2013 Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (Regulation X) and Truth in Lending Act (Regulation Z) Mortgage Servicing Final Rules, the National Mortgage Settlement, and the April 2011 Mortgage Servicing Consent Orders issued by the FRB and OCC;
- Handling multiple phases of e-discovery for financial institutions, including interviewing document custodians, supervising onsite document collection, training and managing document review teams, and producing documents to government regulators and third-parties; and
- Conducting regulatory surveys for financial institutions relating to an array of issues, including licensing requirements and fee restrictions applicable to mortgage brokers, originators, and servicers.
Mr. Dowell received his J.D. from the University of Virginia, where he was the Executive Editor of the Virginia Sports and Entertainment Law Journal, and his B.A. from Tulane University in 2005 (magna cum laude).
Assisting top ten bank with CFPB examination focused on credit card add-on products.
Thomson Reuters, May 23, 2011
Servicing Management, June 1, 2010
The Review of Banking and Financial Services, June 1, 2010
Knowledge & Insights
February 5, 2013
In The News
Speaking Engagements & Events
November 6, 2013
February 12, 2013
April 8, 2011
Awards & Recognition
- Super Lawyers 2016 Rising Star: Consumer Law