False Claims Act and FIRREA Practice Resource Center
BuckleySandler has unparalleled experience handling matters for financial institutions under the False Claims Act (FCA), the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA), and the Program Fraud Civil Remedies Act (PFCRA). Today, BuckleySandler is representing financial services clients in approximately two dozen False Claims Act and FIRREA investigations by the Department of Justice, various U.S. Attorneys’ Offices, and federal agency Inspectors General, including the Offices of Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA). BuckleySandler represents clients in every major civil fraud initiative, and has experience handling investigations led by Main Justice and other U.S. Attorneys Offices involved in FCA and FIRREA enforcement, including the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. BuckleySandler attorneys are also experienced handling cases pursued by the government under the Program Fraud Civil Remedies Act (PFCRA). Our experience in False Claims Act matters extends beyond the financial services industry as well, having handled FCA and qui tam matters in health care, defense contracting, and other industries.
BuckleySandler’s False Claims and FIRREA practice attorneys are on the leading edge of FCA, FIRREA, and PFCRA trends and developments affecting the financial services industry. Our partner Andrew W. Schilling is the former chief of the Civil Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York (S.D.N.Y.) where he helped lead the first wave of False Claims Act and FIRREA cases filed against financial services companies.
Key Financial Fraud Enforcement Statutes
- Click here to view the text of the False Claims Act.
- Click here to view the text of the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act (FIRREA).
- Click here to view the text of the Program Fraud Civil Remedies Act (PFCRA).
Significant FCA/FIRREA Cases
Click here to view BuckleySandler's FCA/FIRREA Case Tracking Chart, featuring links to key documents and details on the status of cases.
Key FIRREA Court Decisions
Click here to view BuckleySandler’s list of key FIRREA court decisions.
- Look Before You LEAP: This Year's FHA Annual Recertification Process (BNA's Banking Report)
- FHFA Inspector General Emerging as Key Enforcement Player: What to Expect in 2014 (BNA's Banking Report)
- Challenging FIRREA Subpoenas: The RMBS Working Group Faces Subpoena Fight (BNA's Banking Report)
- Another Court Affirms DOJ Financial Fraud Strategy (Law360)
- Avoiding the FCA & FIRREA Trap: Practical Tips for Compliance Professionals (BNA's Banking Report)
- HAMP Risk on the Rise: A Complicated Regulatory Scheme Under the Spotlight (BNA's Banking Report)
- A Financial Institution's Fraud on Itself Triggers FIRREA (Law360)
- Little Known Statute May Breathe New Life Into False Claims Act Cases Against Financial Institutions (Thomson Reuters Accelus)
- FCA Allows Treble Damages - 'But Treble What?' (Law360)
- Finally, 8 Factors Governing FIRREA Civil Penalty Awards (Law360)
- U.S. Using Subpoenas Under 1989 Act as New Tool to Probe Financial Firms (Reuters Financial Regulatory Forum)
- How the DOJ is Adapting in the War Against Financial Fraud (Law360)
- Whistle-Blower Bounties May Encourage Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities Fraud Reporting (Westlaw Journal: Bank and Lender Liability)
- Understanding FIRREA's Reach: When Does Fraud "Affect" a Financial Institution? (BNA's Banking Report)
- Mortgage Litigation and the False Claims Act (Thomson Reuters News and Insight)
- FCA, FHA Lending, and US v. Deutsche Bank (Law360)
Blog Posts & Special Alerts
- DOJ Sues Mortgage Lender Over Alleged Fraudulent Certification of FHA Loans
- HUD Announces Another Mortgage False Claims Act Settlement
- How to Handle a Government Investigation: 13 Things You Should Do if the Government Comes Knocking
- Federal and State Officials File Settlement with Nation’s Five Largest Mortgage Servicers
- Federal Government Obtains Settlement of False Claims Act Claims Against CitiMortgage
- Supreme Court Limits Use of Evidence Obtained from Governmental Sources in FCA Cases
- United States v. S&P: DOJ's Latest Fraud Suit Underscores the Importance of Understanding FIRREA, Its Reach, and Its Limitations (February 21, 2013)
- The Evolution of the False Claims Act and FIRREA Enforcement (November 16, 2012)
- From False Claims Act to FIRREA: The Government's Expanding Enforcement Arsenal Against Financial Institutions (July 26, 2012)
- The False Claims Act and FHA Lending: What Does U.S. v. Deutsche Bank Mean for You? (May 11, 2011)